June 08, 2010

Send in the clouds







The trip from Venice to Cinque Terre took longer than the one from Montreal to Venice. Due to rain, one of the train tunnels had flooded. We ended up sitting on a train (the last one of a three train journey) for over four hours, with next to no information about what was going on. The Italians on the train looked apologetically at the tourists and lamented how travel was a tragedy in Italy. As the train finally got moving, I asked the woman across from me how long it took to get to Riomaggiore, my final destination. Her eyes got wide and she slapped her forehead. "Riomaggiore!? It's only 10 minutes away!" Ugh. Then, the train failed to stop at Riomaggiore, and instead went to the next town of Manarola. I had to walk 20 minutes carrying all my camera gear on my back and dragging my suitcase behind me.

The next day, impossibly big, fluffy, gorgeous clouds rolled over the Ligurian Sea and all of that was forgotten.

9 comments:

ana said...

oof. travel issues always wear me out, but it sure is nice to see that all turned out okay. amazing photos.

Lady Grey said...

these photos are so beautiful!

Rachel and David said...

I love the dreamy-effect of all of your photos. These especially are very comforting.

Rochelle said...

Those shots are breathtaking - definitely worth the frustrating train ride there!

Rae said...

lovely. I just posted a blog about your prints. so excited. take care!

snookieraestudios.blogspot.com

Katie*Belle said...

These photos are absolutely stunning!

A said...

These photos are worth a little hassle! Beautiful colours and everything. :-)

Laura Burch said...

These cloud photos look just like paintings to me; they take me to another place, far far away. I Love them!

Unknown said...

Wow. What a journey! Only in Italy. Or France. Or Spain. Or ... Elsewhere in Europe. Except, probably, Germany, Scandanavia, The Netherlands, and maybe the UK. Maybe.

At least you were rewarded with those delicious cotton candied clouds.